Sunday 30 September 2007

Another one bites the dust...

Yep - another film watched, this time "Blue Velvet". Far easier to watch than "Eraserhead", which as I've recently said, took me months to get through because it freaked me out so much. This time around, I didn't fully understand what was going on, but I think that's part of the point, you're not supposed to know all the details - essentially putting you in Jeffrey's shoes.

I especially liked how some scenes were staged like a play, particularly those in Dorothy's apartment as we spy on her (with Jeffrey) from the living room cupboard. I also rather liked the seeming distinction between dreams and nightmares - the whole Dorothy/Frank part of the film appearing like a nightmare (or perhaps just a gritty real-life), and the time before and after that appearing like a dreamy real-life (or perhaps that was in some state of un-reality)...hmmm...it's certainly got me scratching my head, but it was a beautifully shot film and Angelo Badalamenti's music was superb.

I don't think I'm a big David Lynch fan, but I most certainly greatly respect his work and appreciate its place within cinema.

Anyway, I've also gone back to re-view George A. Romero's "The Crazies", it's not perfect, but I think it's a great film nonetheless.

Otherwise, I see that fellow blogging buddy Hellsing (Danny) has finally gotten old, he's finding things he once enjoyed or tolerated now just annoying. Ahhh, it happened to me and now it's happened to Danny...it's all a part of growing up. Once upon a time I used to not be bothered by MTV or MTV-2, now I frequently find them inane and annoying, particularly the presentation and many of the shows they put up (well, apart from the ones I like, but even then I have my fair share of gripes).

It's strange how just a couple of extra years puts you somewhere completely different from where you were seemingly only recently...like me now compared to me at graduation...times move on and things change I guess...

And on that ponderous note, it's time for lunch...

No comments: